On March 1st, 2021, the Dr. Oswaldo Loor Foundation and the municipality of Portoviejo signed an institutional cooperation agreement for the implementation of projects for the “care of visually impaired individuals in the county of Portoviejo to achieve their habilitation or comprehensive rehabilitation through the Luz and Baja Visión Programs of the Dr. Oswaldo Loor Moreira Foundation, by means of virtual and in-person programs”.
Thanks to this agreement, two community promoters support children, young adults and adults with visual impairment in the district of Portoviejo, in the following aspects:
• Clinical ophthalmologic care and specialized low vision care
• Visual therapy
• Daily life task
• Orientation and mobility
• Braille and abacus
• Educational inclusiveness
• New technologies
• Labor insertion by means of self-employment model (Financing of small businesses)
• Sensitization and training of their community (family members, teachers and community)
• Development and provision of adapted teaching materials
• Events for public participation
The visually impaired, beneficiaries of this project, feel very grateful for the permanent support provided by Mr. Agustín Casanova, mayor of Portoviejo, and those who make up the municipal government of Portoviejo.